Comparing Energy Efficiency of Different Brands

Comparing Energy Efficiency of Different Brands

HVAC Energy Efficiency Brands

Comparing energy efficiency of different brands of heating and cooling equipment is relatively easy. Although the rating systems are standardized, allowing you to make a fair comparison. there are three different rating systems used. Each rating is used for a specific type of product. in other words, all furnaces use the same system.  (heat pumps use a different system, and so on). HVAC Energy Efficiency Brands

They are:

  • AFUE (gas heating)
  • SEER (cooling)
  • HSPF (heat pump heating)

Here we will discuss only AFUE

AFUE (gas heating):HVAC Energy Efficiency Brands

The efficiency of a furnace is measured in a rating known as AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency). A lot like your cars miles per gallon rating. AFUE tells you how efficiently the furnace converts fuel (gas or oil) into heat. An AFUE of 80% means that 80% of the fuel is used to heat your home. while the other 20% basically goes up the chimney. HVAC Energy Efficiency Brands.

The government mandated a minimum AFUE rating for furnaces installed in new homes is 78%. (In contrast, many furnaces manufactured before 1992 had AFUE ratings as low as 60% . so nearly half the fuel was being wasted.) HVAC Energy Efficiency Brands. Furnaces with AFUE ratings of 78% to 80% are considered “mid-efficiency”.  those with ratings of 90% or higher are known as “high efficiency.” The maximum furnace efficiency available is around 96.6%.

Always remember

In general, a higher efficiency furnace usually means two things:

  • higher price
  • lower monthly operating cost

If you have an older furnace (with an AFUE of about 60%), you could save up to 40% on your heating bills. And you can done this by replacing it with a new high-efficiency furnace. So the cost to replace your old, inefficient furnace is paid back through lower utility bills.

Payback: (HVAC Energy Efficiency Brands)

If you live in a cold climate, you could see a payback in a few short years. If you live in a moderate climate, it might make more sense to purchase a mid-efficiency furnace. Your dealer can use heating data from your area to help you determine about how long it would take you to recover the additional cost. and these costs are of a high-efficiency model in energy savings. (Of course, after the payback, you continue to save on your energy bills for the life of the system.) HVAC Energy Efficiency Brands

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scenic City Heating & Air

Here at Scenic City Heating & Air we have a dedicated team of professionals ready to serve you 24/7. All of our techs are NATE certified and have been drug-tested. Scenic City H&A uses no sub-contractors. All of our techs and installation crews are employed directly by us and have years of experience in HVAC systems.